Frequently asked questions

We’ve included most of the questions that parents often ask us about our services, or about their child’s development or disability. If the answer to your question isn’t here, please contact us at, and we’ll reply as soon as we can.
Footprints CEC is part of a more extensive network of Conductive Education services in England and Wales, and while we all offer CE, our services differ. Our families generally live in Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, or Leicestershire, although we do have children that live further away.
See details of all Conductive Education services in England and Wales here.



Our Services

What exactly do you do at Footprints Conductive Education Centre?

Please read the What we do section of our website to find out more about our services, about Conductive Education and if we can help you and your child. Please contact us.

How much does it cost to attend Footprints Conductive Education Centre?

We ask parents to make a nominal contribution of £32.50 per month to cover £10 per session (or £390 per annum). This is a contribution to our costs and doesn’t represent the actual cost of providing our services (the actual cost per family is £101 per session/ £3,939 per annum). We encourage families to talk to one of our staff regarding financial assistance from trusts and foundations that could potentially fund a child’s place or other costs, or if they wish to take a break for financial reasons. As an independent charity, we’re always looking for new ways to raise funds.

How will my child and I benefit from attending Footprints Conductive Education Centre?

Everyone benefits in different ways, but in a nutshell, you and your child will start living a more fulfilling, better quality life. You’ll gain the skills and knowledge you need to help your child at home and play a vital part in developing their personal, social, cognitive and mobility skills. Ultimately, you’ll help your child unlock their ability to achieve their potential. And when it all gets a little too much, we’re here to provide emotional support as well as practical advice and information on how to care for your child.

How often will my child and I need to attend?

We’ll discuss this with you during your initial consultation. Footprints Conductive Education Centre doesn’t follow the regular school calendar.  We operate a six-week term with a two-week break.

What’s involved in a typical Conductive Education session?

Again, this varies according to your child’s age, disability and learning needs. Typical elements might include:

  • A particular series of tasks to teach controlled body movements and motor planning in various positions and to enhance the child’s active participation.
  • Day-to-day self-help skills such as eating, drinking, dressing, toileting, as well as practical support for parents on how they can keep helping their child at home.
  • Specific programmes to develop communication at the individual’s level, using rhythmical intentions (repeated words to help movements) with lots of fun songs and rhymes.
  • Using play to teach preschool skills and conceptual learning, for example, colouring, listening to stories, counting and telling the time.
  • Pre-reading and writing activities, starting at an elementary level with play including movements.

Any academic work included in your child’s learning sessions will always follow the government’s guidelines for an Early Years Foundation Stage. curriculum.

Your child

How do I know if my child is developing normally?

All babies and children develop different skills at different times, but there are certain milestones that you can expect them to achieve at various stages from birth to the age of five. You’ll find an interactive guide including videos and advice, at the NHS Choices website.

What should I do if I think my baby or toddler may not be progressing as expected?

Talk to your GP as soon as possible. If there’s a problem, an early diagnosis can make a big difference to your child’s ability to lead a ‘normal’ life, so don’t delay. Remember that you’re entitled to a second opinion if you’re not happy with your GP’s diagnosis or non-diagnosis. And don’t be afraid to ask for a hospital referral to a developmental paediatrician.

If my child has a referral to a development paediatrician, what can I expect to happen?

The paediatrician will carry out tests and evaluation to assess how your child is developing alongside the standards for their age. They’ll probably look at the following areas:


  • Physical and motor development
  • Ability to communicate verbally or by other means
  • Social and emotional development, e.g. social interaction and behaviours
  • Self-help skills such as trying to feed, wash or dress themselves
  • Cognitive skills such as problem-solving or recognising words and letters


  • An interview with you about what you’ve observed about your child’s development. Give as much information as you can, but don’t worry if you don’t have all the answers.
  • A review of your child’s medical history.

My child has been diagnosed with a motor development delay, mobility disorder, communications problem or other associated condition. What do I do now?

Your GP or paediatrician should arrange a care package for your child, which might include services such as physiotherapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy. Now is also the time to contact – we will arrange a consultation to decide how to structure your child’s learning sessions and identify the support you’ll need to help your child at home.

Where can I find more information about my child’s particular condition?

The websites listed below offer advice, information and support for the conditions we meet with most often at School for Parents. Your GP or paediatrician should also be able to help, and there’s a wealth of more general information at the NHS Choices website.

Cerebral palsy

Head injury or stroke

Down’s syndrome

Muscular dystrophy

How do I get help with my child’s educational needs when he or she starts mainstream school?

You may need to get an Education and Health Care Plan for your child. We can help to guide you through this process, and you can find more information at these websites:

You can also contact the education department at your local authority for advice. Parents living within the Nottingham city boundary can find information about local services here.